Great story on e-bay 1980 Capri 110 mpg diesel

13 replies [Last post]
DieselCrazy's picture

BEAUTIFULLY RESTORED MOODY-SHETLEY 1980 MERCURY CAPRI TURBO DIESEL
THIS RARE CAR IS ONE OF ONLY 10 PROTOTYPES EVER PRODUCED NEARLY 30 YEARS AGO. THIS PARTICULAR CAR IS NUMBERED 4 OF 10. IT IS UNKNOWN HOW MANY OF THE REMAINING 9 CARS ARE STILL IN EXISTENCE.

HOLMAN-MOODY. The name is familiar to even the most casual of race fans. The partnership of John Holman and Ralph Moody in the 1950s literally gave birth to the modern era of racing. The list of employees, engineers and drivers associated with the firm reads like the Hall of Fame of the sport. The cars designed and built by Holman-Moody throughout the 1960s and 1970s soundly whipped anyone who had the guts to show up at the starting line and propelled Ford Motor Company to the top of the racing world for decades. Today the Holman-Moody name has achieved almost mythical proportions.

After the oil crisis of the 1970s, Ralph Moody teamed up with Michael Shetley, also from Holman-Moody, to design and develop an energy efficient car that they hoped would revolutionize the auto industry. In 1979 they unveiled their creation to the world with much fan fare and the car received National magazine, newspaper and television coverage. They received offers of millions of dollars in backing from around the globe and were courted by major automakers in the United States. They met EPA testing standards and conducted independent University tests that rated the car at 110 MPG! Everything was sailing right along and headed for the history books. Mike and Ralph were going to be very wealthy men and they had developed a solution to one of the biggest energy conservation problems of this century.

Sadly, at the height of the project, it was killed off by the Government, Big Oil, and Corporate America [the big 3 automakers]. Why, you ask? Simple. THEY DONT WANT A SOLUTION. Why? 2 reasons: [1] BECAUSE THE PROBLEM IS NOT REAL and [2] MONEY. And NOT necessarily in that order. Think about it. 2 brilliant guys develop a vehicle that ultimately would drive the 2 wealthiest industries on the globe into bankruptcy. Not on your life. Welcome to the real world of politics, greed, corruption, and deceit. Theres not much in this world that I enjoy more than to see someone stick their finger in the eye of THE MAN and get away with it. You have to have deep pockets, a load of courage and be able to chew nails and spit them out. Very few people have pulled it off. Moody and Shetley almost did.

The engine is a VM HR 492 HT 4cyl 2393cc Turbo Charged Diesel with power steering and 4 speed manual transmission. It comes with a cloth cover, correct wheels and leather steering wheel. The original dash clock, AM/FM in dash radio, and headlights all function to specification. New set of tires are included with sale. NO REPAIRS are necessary at this time. Just turn the key and go. Only 10 prototype cars were built worldwide. This is an unusual vehicle in every respect and needs nothing to be driven and enjoyed immediately.

This RARE Moody-Shetley 1980 Mercury Capri Turbo Diesel Prototype features:

VIN# 0F14A637790

1 of only 10 prototype cars ever produced. This car is numer 4. Whereabouts or existence of remaining 9 cars unknown.

4715 mi showing on odometer/less than 200 miles since restoration and complete professional engine rebuild/actual mileage unknown

EPA and Independent testing rated 110 MPG

Full Ground Up Restoration

Professional Citrus Yellow Exterior

Black Pleated Interior Upholstery

Professionally Rebuilt VM HR 492 HT 4cyl 2393cc Turbo Charged Diesel Engine rated @ 100 hp

4 Speed Manual Transmission

Power Steering

Power Brakes

Wood Grain Dash Trim

Leather Steering Wheel

Original AM/FM Radio

Correct Wheels

New Tires

Speedometer/Tach/Clock/Fuel Guage/Oil Pressure/Temp/Battery

Always Garaged and cloth covered

Tinted Windows

Cloth Car Cover

Complete documentation booklet compiled by the engineer Michael Shetley which includes all testing, letters from United States Congress and EPA, interviews, engineering me

Phil's picture

Very interesting, but I'm very suspicious.

Of course, we all know it does not get 10 mpg, and that spare fuel cell???

And a buy it now price of $12,900? Surely much more would have been spent on repair and restoration.

What gives?

TDIguy's picture

So this car gets 2x the gas milage as a modern vw jetta (probably weighs more considering the era it came from also)and has 10hp more then a stock jetta tdi? Prototypes are normally ahaid of there time but i am not buying into the surposid milage on this thing. The buy it now price seems a bit low for a verhicle that is 1 of 10 ever produced and fully restored something here screams scam.

-------------------------
01 vw jetta TDI : RC II : VR6 Clutch
Vag-Com tool at home
Veg 04-06 now mixing into the HHO
Another good veg site
http://fryertofuel.hypermart.net/store/page6.html

TDIguy's picture

Maybe it is a lack of knowledge on my part also... but shouldn't even prototype cars have a VIN number? This one has no vin listed so if you wanted to try to look up the cars history there is no way to do it. Maybe i am wrong tho and its not common for prototype cars to have VIN's but i would think there would be one just for tracking purposes.

Vag-Com tool at home
Another good veg site

TDIguy's picture

O I LOVE this part of the ad. This is where they cover themselfs 100% in the auction. See in this little paragraph they might as well just flat out tell you they are going to attempt to scam you for every penny they can get from you. This disclosure here says that the seller is not responsible for any single piece of information in the ad to be correct at all. You could buy this car and show up to pickup your new rebuilt / refurb verhicle and he could have some old POS ford sitting there with your name on it and with the language he used in the add here your screwed if you tryed to take them to court because the seller is not responsible for correct well anything in the add not the authentication nothing.

This vehicle is being sold as is, where is with no warranty, expressed written or implied. The seller shall not be responsible for the correct description, authenticity, genuineness, or defects herein, and makes no warranty in connection therewith. No allowance or set aside will be made on account of any incorrectness, imperfection, defect or damage. Any descriptions or representations are for identification purposes only and are not to be construed as a warranty of any type. It is the responsibility of the buyer to have thoroughly inspected the vehicle, and to have satisfied himself or herself as to the condition and value and to bid based upon that judgement solely. The seller shall and will make every reasonable effort to disclose any known defects associated with this vehicle at the buyer's request prior to the close of sale. Seller assumes no responsibility for any repairs regardless of any oral statements about the vehicle. An inspection contingency policy is offered to potential buyers prior to bidding and prior to acceptance of merchandise. Buyers waiver of personal inspection releases seller from any future claims or liability without exception.

Vag-Com tool at home
Another good veg site

Rodd's picture

I googled both moody and shetley and found moody had a racecar developement company and shetley was indited for lying about emission testing on a hercules diesel engine. I tried to find anything about any prototypes they be associated with. I did find that they worked together trying to get high gas milage out of vehicles however there was no mention anywhere through google about them creating any capri or anything close to it. I just did a quick search but I would like someone in Charlotte NC to go take a test drive and verify their statements. I also found a past ebay auction for it and it was back on sept 23 2007.

There was one thing that I noticed about the seller. He does have over 300 sales on ebay.

I find it hard to believe.

Rodd

peaber's picture

Looking at his feed back:
Extremely bad experience,trailer not as advertised, BUYERS BEWARE! lodi04 ( -1 ) Oct-08-04 12:28
Reply by macgregor! (Oct-08-04 13:22):
4 hr personal presale inspection w/no objections & you wrecked it going home "0"
Follow-up by lodi04 (Oct-09-04 09:00):
We have documentation to prove otherwise. Shame on you!

very pleasant transaction chabauto ( 116) Jan-10-05 07:28
Reply by macgregor! (Jan-10-05 08:14):
Shipping your AIRSTREAM to France was a pleasure Look forward to future business
Follow-up by chabauto (Apr-11-06 08:00):
A lot of regrets ; I'll never trust american people again .
Cars not accurately described, not even close. Spent $1200.00 to inspect. csgoodell ( 5 ) Feb-25-06 04:13
Reply by macgregor! (Feb-25-06 05:26):
Check w/ me for details. Wouldnt speak in front of 83 yr old owner says it all.
Rating mutually withdrawn
Buyer and seller mutually agreed to withdraw feedback for this item
absolute fraud,9 holes in floor, windows leak, total liar do not trust this man catalytic_converter ( 50) Nov-08-06 05:26
Reply by macgregor! (Nov-08-06 07:54):
I wont be extorted.Emails from buyer,receipts,photos prove otherwise.Contact me.
Rating independently withdrawn
Based on independent feedback review, comment met eBay's guidelines for rating withdrawal I won the bidding on the car, and then he ignored all of my messages, unethical lakersfan66 ( 9 ) Jan-15-07 13:27
Rating mutually withdrawn
Buyer and seller mutually agreed to withdraw feedback for this item Void of integrity. Left me X- rated vulgar feedback. Angry internet salesman. heartsapumpin ( 131) May-13-07 13:19
Reply by macgregor! (May-13-07 15:27):
Ask me why Harry Truman was one of the greatest human beings ever on earth. lol.
Follow-up by heartsapumpin (May-13-07 17:24):
Read the vulgar feedback he left me!Self explanatory!No morals/class.Abusive!
Rating independently withdrawn
Based on independent feedback review, comment met eBay's guidelines for rating withdrawal Here is the feedback this guy left for the previous poster:SELLER BEWARE. Dealing w/this guy is like when the neighbors dog humped your leg Seller: macgregor! ( 314) May-10-07 15:15
Reply by heartsapumpin (May-13-07 13:34):
Rude & Vulgar Void of integrity. Angry salesman As a result, I terminated deal
Follow-up by macgregor! (May-13-07 15:21):
WRONG! BIG EGO. BIG ATTITUDE. NO COMMUNICATION. GET REAL DOC

I don't think I would deal with this guy.

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

TDIguy's picture

Ya i wouldnt deal with someone with that kind of feedback. I consider mutual withdrawals to be basically bully tactics in his case. He probably went and left negatives on everyone that gave him a negative.

Besides I dont think it would be possible to have a car from that year get 2x the milage of a modern diesel and also have more HP and be a bigger liter engine by .5 liters. That is just too far out there his add is full of lies and his disclaimer at the end covers him for all his lies in case you attempt to take him to court. He is a perfect example of a bad salesman

Vag-Com tool at home
Another good veg site

DieselCrazy's picture

Check this beauty out....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Chevette-Diesel-1981-Chevrolet-...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

TDIguy's picture

Whats up with people using the excuse "all diesels leak oil" My car only leaks oil if i forget to tighten things down after i do an oil change. I have virtually zero oil consumption and no leaks at all. I say virtually zero consumption because i am sure there is some minute amount with how hot the turbo gets and blowby that is bound to happen but over 5k miles or so between oil changes its not noticable.

Vag-Com tool at home
Another good veg site

Thesst's picture

Quote:
Originally posted by: TDIguy
Whats up with people using the excuse "all diesels leak oil" My car only leaks oil if i forget to tighten things down after i do an oil change. I have virtually zero oil consumption and no leaks at all. I say virtually zero consumption because i am sure there is some minute amount with how hot the turbo gets and blowby that is bound to happen but over 5k miles or so between oil changes its not noticable.

Vag-Com tool at home
Another good veg site

Your car is an 01... I would hope it doesn't leak oil.

A more accurate statement than "All diesels leak oil" would be "All old diesels leak oil."

Short of a complete engine rebuild, you're typically not gonna get a leaky old diesel to stop leaking. It's because of the extremely high compression in diesel engines. The oil will seek the path of least resistence. Like I said, short of a complete rebuild or at least replacing ALL gaskets, rings, seals, everything that keeps oil in, you're not gonna fix a leak in an old diesel engine.

I guess the question is "What's 'old'?" I would say anything pre-1995 with more than 200K miles and/or anything pre-1987 with under 200K miles. But those estimates of "old" are entirely arbitrary, just my own personal thoughts on it.

81SD's picture

I think you mean any diesel with enough wear, causing blow-by that results in positive crankcase pressure that pushes oil out anywhere it can find a gap. At least that's what it appeared you were saying... That makes sense. Another cause is that diesels tend to run much longer than gas motors, so anything with a gasket that can sprout a leak has more time to do so.

ceiii2000's picture
marshall2u's picture

I just talked to the guy. He said I can come look at it this weekend, although he thinks he might have it sold.

Marshall from NC
1993 Mercedes 300D