396 replies [Last post]
Pacifico's picture

I'm interested in the group buy.

xeus's picture

I'll take two.

Pyrate's picture

Count me in for 2

lonola's picture

I'm definitely interested, count me in for 1.

Drippy's picture

Boy do I need this, with three cars on veggie, my settleing system is taxed to say the least!!

Count me in for one.

Steve

-------------------------
Don't worry about tomorrow, it will soon be the past.

seadog's picture

As far as motors go have you checked Grainger. They have a couple of 1/3 hp, 3450 rpm motors for under $60.

Check stock #6K695 or perhaps 6XH98. They are listed as "limited supply" but might be available in the quantities you are looking for.

blhfla's picture

Quote:
Originally posted by: seadog
As far as motors go have you checked Grainger. They have a couple of 1/3 hp, 3450 rpm motors for under $60.

Check stock #6K695 or perhaps 6XH98. They are listed as "limited supply" but might be available in the quantities you are looking for.
Wasn't planning on an update until I had the opportunity to fully check into these, but I guess some might be anxious.

I hadn't seen those on Grainger's site, but they look adequate for the job. I will be checking with them on Monday for price and availability. They appear to be available in both face mount and 56C frame mount. These would be a great solution for that price. Looks very promising, way to go seadog.

85 MB 300D auto, 225k miles. Plantdrive kit @ 207.5k miles. SOLD
97 VW Passat TDI 5spd, 227k miles, Sprint520s, RC3, 5 lug VR6 conversion, Plantdrive kit @215k miles.

jerrymaki's picture

I'm interested!!
can anyone tell me how long i should break in a rebuilt motor in my 1984 300sd

Jerry

blhfla's picture

Quote:

Well, unfortuantely there are no more of those motors available from Grainger, as they were discontinued, hence the clearance price. However Grainger does have some others for about $110 that may work out fine. I'll get one over to the machinist to get his advice and possibly start the mockup based on it.

97 VW Passat TDI 5spd, 227k miles, Sprint520s, RC3, 5 lug VR6 conversion, Plantdrive kit @215k miles.

blhfla's picture

I delivered a $110 motor to the shop this morning and the machinist thinks it will suffice. Next he will nail down the design in AutoCAD and 3D render it so we'll have some detail drawings to work from. Of course this will take a while; I'd do it myself with LinuxCAD and blender but I'd have to rebuild my LINUX computer first and I doubt that will happen anytime soon so please be patient, he is very busy right now. It will probably be next week before we have the first draft complete, but then he can start making the prototype parts and see how everything comes together.

Rif
Rif's picture

cool

Graplr's picture

I'm interested. I will keep following the thread...

1984 Mercedes 300SD Burnin' the grease....

cestes's picture

Please put me on your list of interested people...

seadog's picture

blhfla, I am very sorry the motors I suggested were not available. I hope the one you found is more what you along the lines of what you were looking for.

For what it's worth I was in a Harbor Freight store the other day and I saw a couple of items of interest. They had a small 1/2 hp water pump on sale for $30. The motor turns at 2850 rpm. I thought about sugesting this motor but you would have to cut off the pump housing. They also have several bench grinders that are cheap (less than $50) than are 1/2 hp, 3450 rpm. The problem there is adapting where the grinding wheel mount to your intended purpose. All in all probably more effort to adapt these things than just buy a motor would work from the getgo.

blhfla's picture

Quote:
blhfla, I am very sorry the motors I suggested were not available. I hope the one you found is more what you along the lines of what you were looking for.

For what it's worth I was in a Harbor Freight store the other day and I saw a couple of items of interest. They had a small 1/2 hp water pump on sale for $30. The motor turns at 2850 rpm. I thought about sugesting this motor but you would have to cut off the pump housing. They also have several bench grinders that are cheap (less than $50) than are 1/2 hp, 3450 rpm. The problem there is adapting where the grinding wheel mount to your intended purpose. All in all probably more effort to adapt these things than just buy a motor would work from the getgo.

You are correct in your assumptions. I had thought of the Harbor Freight pump (I already have 2 I previously bought) but modifying it would be too costly and timely. I had left an old air compressor motor for trials with the machinist and he said the same thing about it. We also considered the grinder motors but he said it's the same deal. Why don't these manufacturers make those motors available for general purpose, I'd think they would sell a ton of them at those prices? Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. We have a motor from Grainger that is easily available and under $110 that we are using for the prototype. In the meantime I'll keep trying to locate something cheaper and please let me know if you have any other ideas. I'll see the machinist on Monday and see where we are - hopefully he will have some schematics.

wrapreynolds's picture

blhfha,

Do you have a status update on your centrifuge???

vr

Nelson

gadget111's picture

Hi,

I am also interested in your centrifuge. I am in San Diego, California, so shipping costs are something I am very interested in knowing to figure out the total cost.

Thanks for your efforts!

smid87's picture

Hey all,

I am not a grease head, but I do make my own Biodiesel. As you have issues with junk so do we. I am very interested in a turnkey centrifuge for under $300.00 shipped. I would even be open to just the bowl. Count me in. I am a member of a group here in Southern, NH and we have several members that will probably follow our lead. Well keep me posted and I will follow this thread.

Well someone's gotta do it. Might as well be you.

blhfla's picture

blhfla
ChuckDubDubDub
Greaseburger
BrianMiller
Holyoak
GuitarGerber
grindMARC
new2greas
Rif
JimNorman
bodycounter
FosilFool
walter2
seadog
brp
VeggyPig
BrianMiller
MISJeff
praycha
5cylturbojeep
marshall2u
Hathy2
Pedrokep
Abreojos
sysco kid X2
DURAMAXLB7
jm686
wrapreynolds
salty
Pacifico
xeus (X2)
Pyrate (X2)
lonola
Drippy
jerrymaki
Graplr
cestes
Gadget111
smid87

That makes an even 40 so far.
It has been awhile since the last update and I appreciate everyone's patience. The machinist has been quite busy manufacturing custom fuel system parts made of aerospace 'super' alloys for the airline industry. He's even making the tools he needs to make the parts. I think I said it before - he's good. Lucky for us because this is proving to be a challenge.

We had decided on using SS because of availability of off the shelf materials that would help keep costs and processing down. The SS was thin enough to keep weight down, but it was too thin to weld (the mild steel cap plate is much thicker and this causes the thin SS to burn off), even with some of the cap plate removed to reduce (even out) themal mass at the joint. The machinist and his welder have a couple more tricks to try, but tomorrow I'm dropping off some aluminum as now it seems that might be a better choice. Keep in mind this is all just for the rotor so far (of course that is the most critical component and in this design by far the most complicated).

More aluminum also means less weight which helps with shipping costs. Speaking of which, I contacted UPS for a 'ball park' quote for shipping 24X24X24 (50lbs) FL to CA is about $70. 18X18X18 (under 40 lbs) is $50. We're going to TRY to get it all into 16X16X16 (near 30 lbs) for under $40.

Not exactly the news I wanted to report, but we're learning what will and won't work. We're still aiming for the original goals, but it IS going to take some time. You know the saying, "Quick, good and cheap, pick two" - ours are good and cheap.

One more thing I would like to point out. This device is designed to be as close to 'bliss' as possible .... easy to assemble, ship and store; complete, including everything except tubing, containers and electricity; versatile, with options for leg extensions and feeder oil tray; compact, able to fit in a broom closet, even with optional extensions; durable, resistant to corrosion/friendly to VO; efficient, with water and particulate separation provided by 1300G force (3450 RPM); low maintenance, without shaft seals and easy and quick cleaning; and cheaper than any other similar complete centrfiuge available, even cheaper than most other rotors alone. IOW, everything you would want in a WVO/UMO centrifuge and nothing you don't (big pricetag).

Producing such a product is not easy and doesn't happen quickly, so please be patient. I think the result will be worth the wait.

smid87's picture

Hey guys,

Just ran across this and thought you all might be interested. It is a lab centrifuge and would not work for our applications, but is neat in that they have heated and non-heated, and air operated centrifuges. If only they came with a bowl!!! I did mention that it would be a high seller if the price were under or near $200.00. He is giving me the name of a guy in Houston that sells refurbed centrifuges, maybe he can come up with something?

http://www.marineservicesinc.biz/Centrifuges-1053.asp
Well someone's gotta do it. Might as well be you.

rkpatt's picture

I am interest in getting 1 .

1994 Ford F250 NA 7.3 - Homebuilt WVO conversion

wrapreynolds's picture

blhfla,

Do you have an estimated time frame of production???

vr

Nelson

blhfla's picture

OK, time for an update. The machinist will have his aluminum welder in next week to weld the cap plate onto the bowl to produce the rotor. Hopefully it will all weld up alright or else we'll be back to the design board again. Next his CNC machine (capable of 7000RPM) is broken but he has a new one due in next week, if not he has a lathe that can turn 3600RPM for testing. If rigidity and balance check out then he'll proceed onto the rotor neck (motor shaft receiver) which is aluminum welded also.

The aluminum is more costly but we couldn't get the SS to work out, fortunately aluminum is light so weight will stay down. Also some work will be sent out (ie., water jet cutting for precision and to save time) so the cost will be higher but I think now we can keep the weight down and maybe shipping closer to $30. We SHOULD be able to deliver to your door for between $350-$400 (I checked USPS parcel post Tampa to Seattle). Now I see how simplecentrifuge.com can charge $500 JUST FOR A ROTOR ALONE. This is NOT EASY NOR CHEAP, especially given the goals we are after. Just the motor itself is $115 and very heavy, the majority of the cost and weight of the entire device. We are doing everything we can think of to keep costs down while ensuring the end product is rugged, easy to use and ship and of top quality. This of course requires lots of time and effort in the design/trial phases.

Once the rotor is finished and satisfactory (hopefully next week), the leg mount brackets and motor mount brackets will be made (a couple weeks) and a plexiglass lid, so hopefully by the end of March we'll have a device to test.

So I appreciate your patience. I want one as soon as you do too.

BrianMiller's picture

use a blender, it is only $15.00 and works just as well. if you do a search on here i told people how to make a ceni out of a blender. but i guess everyone want to use it for mixed drinks and not veggie. buy the time you spend over $500.00 and work the bugs out of it, i could have used that $500.00 for filters = 500 filters. and filtered well over 2000 gallons of veggie =$6000.00

I use to be ForrestGump..My Forum, ,My BLOG,

TDIguy's picture

I wish them all the bet of luck. Its not easy to try to desighn a professional product thats safe reliable and durable and do it all for cheap money. Ya you can buy a lot of filters for 400$ or whatever this thing ends up costing. But the centerfuge is aimed at a different type of filtering ideal. After studying phy II for a little while now it should be possable to make a centerfuge that will reliabally seperate out nearly anything from anything else. Its just a matter of spinning it at the right speed. The biggest problem i can see with a centerfuge is trying to figure out just how fast it should spin given the different oils out there.
I do also think that a centerfuge would serve someone best that uses more veg then someone with say a VW jetta or other fuel sipping verhicle.
Of course one thing to keep in mind for those wondering why others charge so much for the centerfuge is imagine now also trying to put a $ value on the amount of research you have done makeing this centerfuge and research on trying to mak additions and new products to sell. That is where things start to add up fast.

01 vw jetta TDI : RC II : VR6 Clutch
Vag-Com tool at home
Veg 04-06 now mixing into the HHO
Another good veg site
http://fryertofuel.hypermart.net/store/page6.html

BrianMiller's picture

this is a really good company by Indy. i talked to them 2 or 3 years ago. we talked a couple of times about how the ceni will work with veggie. and they make them for dewatering and cleaning wvo.

http://www.uscentrifuge.com/

http://www.uscentrifuge.com/products.htm

blhfla's picture

Quote:
Originally posted by: TDIguy
I wish them all the bet of luck. Its not easy to try to desighn a professional product thats safe reliable and durable and do it all for cheap money. Ya you can buy a lot of filters for 400$ or whatever this thing ends up costing. But the centerfuge is aimed at a different type of filtering ideal. After studying phy II for a little while now it should be possable to make a centerfuge that will reliabally seperate out nearly anything from anything else. Its just a matter of spinning it at the right speed. The biggest problem i can see with a centerfuge is trying to figure out just how fast it should spin given the different oils out there.
I do also think that a centerfuge would serve someone best that uses more veg then someone with say a VW jetta or other fuel sipping verhicle.
Of course one thing to keep in mind for those wondering why others charge so much for the centerfuge is imagine now also trying to put a $ value on the amount of research you have done makeing this centerfuge and research on trying to mak additions and new products to sell. That is where things start to add up fast.

01 vw jetta TDI : RC II : VR6 Clutch
Vag-Com tool at home
Veg 04-06 now mixing into the HHO
Another good veg site
http://fryertofuel.hypermart.net/store/page6.html

TDIguy - you're right on target. We've invested a great deal of time so far on design AND trials, and redesign and more trials, not to mention a couple hundred dollars (me) and a lot of pro-bono work (machinist). You're also right about angular speed being critical - 3450 RPM minimum. We looked at the $40 Harbor Freight pump motors but they're only 2800 RPM and that would make a significant difference in performance. If we're going to do this we're going to do it right. And we'll find a way to make it affordable.

Regarding ROI, yeah you can buy a lot of filters for $400, but once you've done so, then what? Buy more and more? With a centrifuge there are no consumables except minimal electricity. Kind of like biodiesel, no upfront kit costs for your vehicle, but eventually the meth/lye consumable costs will add up and surpass a kit investment. In the long run a centrifuge will pay off (not to mention 1/10 micron filtering and near 100% water separation - let's see you get THAT with simple filters). And this is ideal for low production as well - I've just got my Passat and I look forward to having a compact system that will fit in my laundry room that I can run slowly and get super clean oil in one pass and still do a tankfull (or two) in less than a day, whenever I want.

Holyoak's picture

I got to be honest with you here bud, once the cost of this breaks $400 I don't know how interested I'll be. I would love to have one and I've got a few things I'm working on here but I'm not so sure about the cost. We'll have to see.

Just my 2 cents...
Holyoak
"With 8 kids even the suburban can be to small!"

wrapreynolds's picture

blhfla,

Copy all..........time is a lim factor for me. Getting my first oil from my restaurant tomorrow....

Probably can hang for maybe another week or two....do the best you can....we'll go on stand-by mode for now....

vr

Nelson

Graplr's picture

Quote:
Originally posted by: Holyoak
I got to be honest with you here bud, once the cost of this breaks $400 I don't know how interested I'll be. I would love to have one and I've got a few things I'm working on here but I'm not so sure about the cost. We'll have to see.

Just my 2 cents...
Holyoak
I've got to agree with you. You can buy a Dieselcraft or Spinclean for $200s or less. Then get a pump from a junkyard for $15 and buy an electric motor for $50.

I was thinking we could get the CF for much less than $200. If this is no longer the case then I would not be interested.

blhfla's picture

Quote:
Originally posted by: Graplr
Quote:
Originally posted by: Holyoak

Just my 2 cents...
Holyoak
I've got to agree with you. You can buy a Dieselcraft or Spinclean for $200s or less. Then get a pump from a junkyard for $15 and buy an electric motor for $50.

I was thinking we could get the CF for much less than $200. If this is no longer the case then I would not be interested.

Which Dieselcraft is that??? The cheapest model on their website is the OC-20 which is $300. Where are you getting a motor for $50? The cheapest new motors are all over $100. The cheapest complete Dieselcraft (ready to use) with new motor and pump is at least $850.

I am trying to build a complete device that is based on a repeatable design with all new parts (including NEW motor) for under $400. And no future pump related problems to contend with.

To all those wanting to build a one-off CF based on used parts and scrap, I wish you success. To all those thinking they can do it for a couple hundred dollars, I also wish you success. To all those willing to repair pumps, design or craftsmanship flaws, and other issues you must deal with when making your own device, yes I wish you success too. This device is not for you because you don't need it. Unfortuantely I don't have a magic wand I can wave and make a miracle CF for "much less than $200" although I had hoped to build one for $200 before I realized I couldn't even get one used motor for less than $50, nevermind for $10, and not consistently.

For the rest of you wanting a device that works, without any of the headache or research or hard work or setbacks or hours upon hours of time investment or significant financial investment in tools and labor, this might be the solution for you.

cavaliers16 (not verified)
cavaliers16's picture

I think the issue is the "mass production" part of this, because individual parts can be found for much less than retail.

You can get used motors for less- check scrapyards and dumps. All sorts of machines use <1 HP 1725RPM motors. I picked mine up from an auto mechanic. He sold me the motor out of his broken vacuum pump for $25. I'm sure you can find a motor for less than $50. You could probably find one free if you waited long enough.

$400 wouldn't be that expensive, though. I built mine for $486, but mine is heated with two hot water heater elements and I had to buy the gear pump new. It also doubles as an oil transfer pump.
Pictures, write-up (scroll down)
Total centrifuge rig cost (scroll down)

Andrew
1983 Mercedes 300D Turbo- 175K- 6K greasy miles!
Grease How-to Articles/Forum

BrianMiller's picture

cavaliers16, nice set up and very good web site...

peaber's picture

Quote:
Originally posted by: cavaliers16
I think the issue is the "mass production" part of this, because individual parts can be found for much less than retail.

You can get used motors for less- check scrapyards and dumps. All sorts of machines use <1 HP 1725RPM motors. I picked mine up from an auto mechanic. He sold me the motor out of his broken vacuum pump for $25. I'm sure you can find a motor for less than $50. You could probably find one free if you waited long enough.

$400 wouldn't be that expensive, though. I built mine for $486, but mine is heated with two hot water heater elements and I had to buy the gear pump new. It also doubles as an oil transfer pump.

Andrew
Very nice Andrew. I like to think that I would be as organized as you if I didn't have kids. I'm gonna pretend your kids are grown and out of the house. Don't ruin it for me, thanks:)

Steve

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

cavaliers16 (not verified)
cavaliers16's picture

Quote:
Originally posted by: peaber
Quote:
Originally posted by: cavaliers16

Andrew
Very nice Andrew. I like to think that I would be as organized as you if I didn't have kids. I'm gonna pretend your kids are grown and out of the house. Don't ruin it for me, thanks:)

Steve

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Haha, thanks. Actually I'm 18- still in high school. I've got time on my hands, that's for sure... :)

Andrew

Graplr's picture

Read through this entire 120-something page thread. It mentions many, many places to buy pumps and motors.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/159605551/m/2001011761

The Dieselcraft at $299 is with a gauge, mounting bracket, and some pipes and valves. I believe the current price alone is $215. The Spinclean I believe is $185. Again, read through the thread, it is mentioned many times.

Holyoak's picture

I understand that you are putting a lot into this blhfla. I'm not in any way trying to down play this. I hope you are able to come up with a quality product that can preform as well as we all would like.

With what you've been telling us about it just appears that the cost of these other centrifges are not that out of line. I'm still interested and at this point I don't want to be taken off the list. I did however feel it would be unfair to not say anything until you had a finished product and then back out on you.

Just my 2 cents...
Holyoak

Justgreasenofries's picture

If its still around the $400 I'm interested (count me in). might be moving out to sunny Ca. but at 16f here in the U.P. I can filter it in my basement.

KEEP ON GREASIN' 1997 F350 7.3L TD PS
1998 VW Jetta 1.9 TDI
1989 VW Jetta wolfsberg 1.6 L NA

blhfla's picture

We're hoping (and really expecting) it will be under $400 including shipping, if not then VERY close to that anyway. I just picked up the aluminum disk cut by water jet this morning and it looks great. Hopefully by Friday we'll have a completed rotor. We're starting on some of the support brackets in the meantime.
The machinist is also very busy with a custom industrial coater he's making that rotates 360 degress on a tracked cart that will support over one thousand pounds of spraying equipment - the horizontal bearing it rides on is one inch wide and 36 inches in diameter. This guy stays busy with some very challenging projects from aerospace to medical lab (prostate cancer detection equipment) clients. He said this morning I'm his only customer that isn't complaining everyday that I "need it yesterday". I can't be too aggressive, he does have PAYING customers to take care of. Anyway, he is trying to work our project in whenever he can, as much as possible.

GreaseBalli's picture

How about some photos of some of these items which have been designed? Just wondering...

blhfla's picture

Once we have something to show I will post photos, indeed I will produce a video of it in operation once the prototype is completed as well as analyzed test samples (before and after) from Blackstone Labs.

However, we aren't there yet, in fact today was a setback. They had a completed rotor and spun it at 1725 RPM just fine. But at 3450 the aluminum bowl failed at the shaft and spun off like the hat from the Chinaman in James Bond's Goldfinger.

We used an aluminum stockpot as raw material because it would require little modification and is relatively inexpensive. However it was probably 1100 aluminum and probably not true. But of course there is a silver lining in this cloud.

We are going to change the rotor design and will now be able to use the $40 2800 RPM Harbor Freight pump motor. We are going to completely manufacture the rotor, from 6061 aluminum strip, roll it, press fit it into 6061 grooved disks so it is true, butt weld it inside and out and machine it. The rotor processing will cost more but we'll cut costs on the motor (the most expensive component), all in all it should lower the total cost! The rotor will be wider (and a bit shorter) so the lower RPM will still produce the 1300G force necessary to do the job. Also we'll need fewer brackets as this motor is face mount (a more direct mount is better as well).

So, once again, patience. This change will produce a stronger better product. And it should be cheaper too. I'll post more once there is some news.

JimNorman's picture

Just confirming: still interested.

Jim

It's the only planet we have, folks; treat it kindly.

blhfla's picture

Just a quick note.

I am relocating across town so there won't be any updates for awhile (maybe a week). Also the machinist is busy until then so hang tight. The project has paused while we consider how to proceed anyway, but it is in no way halted.

secretsexyninja's picture

cool, im interested in how this turns out

Nick (not verified)
cavaliers16's picture

Add my name to the list.

ksetchfield's picture

I just came across this forum, and it made me think that I should post a video I recorded of a home-made simple centrifuge in action at solarfest 2006. So I found the video, put it on fillup4free.com, and now I can share it with you all. Click here to see it (you'll need flash installed in your browser).

Check out Fillup4Free.com, where you can

• Add yourself to the WVO Network Map
  • Browse WVO equipment auctions
  • Watch the latest WVO online videos
  • Read current WVO news feeds

blhfla's picture

Well, after consideration of costs and complexity, we've quickly abandoned what essentially would be manufacturing our own aluminum tubes (butt welding rolled aluminum). Fortunately we've sourced some very nice cast aluminum bowls from Colombia. They appear to be very true (since they are cast not spun), very rigid and relatively inexpensive. They should be easily weldable as they are cast aluminum, and should also keep costs down. We hope to have a working rotor by Wednesday and perhaps even a trial run on the inexpensive 2800 RPM motor (the bowls are 10 inch diameter so we can still use the Harbour Freight $40 pump motors and obtain the 1300G necessary for reasonable performance). If all goes well things should progress much more quickly now.

Rif
Rif's picture

sounds good

Hotwheelbill's picture

Well, add me to the list if the cost can stay down. If you are able to make this work with the Harbor Freight motor, maybe you could offer it with or without the motor. Save a lot of shipping weight.

Just keep'n my money where it belongs.......MY WALLET!

blhfla's picture

We may do that although I'm not sure the weight would be a factor in this case, it depends. When shipping a certain volume, a weight is associated with it and in this case it may be under weight for that volume and may not save any costs (or it might). BUT it may be advantageous to offer it w/o motor anyway, say, for those whom already have a Harbor Freight pump laying around, or can find a used one, etc. The great thing is if we can use them then those options are at least available as the pumps are easy to find. Another great thing is that it is lower RPM, which is intrinisically safer as well, and should the motor die it is cheap and easy to replace.

97 VW Passat TDI 5spd, 230k miles, Sprint520s, RC3, VR6 5 lug 15" wheel conversion, R1 Concepts slotted/drilled rotors, 2500 watt sound, Plantdrive kit @215k miles.